A Franciscan Parish / Una Parroquia Franciscana

History/ Historia

Founded in 1852, St. John the Baptist Catholic Parish community is quite different from the mostly German population of 1852 - over 150 years ago.  St. John's is much more than a beautiful edifice of brick and mortar - we are a community of living stones who enflesh the message of the Gospel in the Franciscan tradition.

Spanish Masses began at St. John's about 25 years ago. As the demographics of the neighborhood have changed, St. John's has opened its arms to welcome the Hispanic community, which is now the majority, and an integral part of the fabric of the life of the parish.